Determining the usefulness of compression

I am writing a script that will compress certain files passed to it
(well, that's a part of the script) and I was wondering if there was a
simple way to determine if a file is worth compressing or not.  I know
that with some very small files, compression actually increases the file
size.  Should I just look at the file size and only compress if over a
certain size or is there a more efficient method?

Thanks,
Rob