Re: sync root passwords?

No, it's not more insecure; you're assuming the hypothetical hacker knows
that there is an algorithm, and which character(s) are filled in by it.

Take the canonical, one-password case, and give me a reasonably good
password, say one generated from the phrase "I Procrastinate On Grading
Papers By Debating Debian!":

I!engsygN

(whoever finds the phrase->password algorithm can stay after class to
clean the erasers)

With 100 machines, the hypothetical hacker has all of them if s/he gets
one of them.

Now, make an (unpublicized) decision to replace the I with the capitalized
last two letters of each hostname:

my @hosts='washington jefferson adams franklin';
for (@hosts) {
	my $pass = uc(substr($_, -2, 2)) . '!engsygN';
}

And, of course, delete the generator script when you're done.  Now the
hypothetical hacker finds the root password to one, but remains locked out
of all the others.

Of course this is "worse" than random separate passwords for each machine,
but my view is that with 100 machines the risk is far greater that someone
writes down the passwords and leaves them in a public place.  But it's
hard to see how this is worse than 100 with the same root password.

ap

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu