Re: new installation -- install lilo after making boot floppy

You will get a lot of replies telling you about using lilo or grub.
For some reason nobody ever recommends using LOADLIN.EXE. I think they
think it's ideologically unsound. I think it's cool. If it's so
unsound, why is it on my Debian install CD? :-)

I triple-boot Windoze 98, DOS 6.22 and Linux.

IMO LOADLIN's by far the safest way because you don't have to mess with the
MBR, and you never get stuck with a machine that you can't get into
because you forgot to run lilo after building a new kernel.

All you have to do is write a simple batch file called LINUX.BAT to
pass the correct kernel image and any boot parameters to LOADLIN: the
batch file contains something like loadlin linux.par, where linux.par
is the boot parameters file. The first line of linux.par has to be the
name of the kernel image, the order of the rest of the lines doesn't
seem to matter.

To boot Linux from cold, I hit Control as Win98 is booting to bring up
the boot menu, select option 6 "Safe mode command prompt only", then
type linux at said prompt.

I also have a shortcut set to run in MS-DOS mode to LINUX.BAT on my
Windoze desktop, so I can go straight from Windoze to Linux without
having to actually reboot.

Using the LOADLIN.EXE method is as close as you'll come to
guaranteeing that you won't nuke your boss's machine.

Pigeon