From: Shawn Lamson <madzimambo@yahoo.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: audio cd
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:21:51 -0800 (PST)

--- Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> Thanks for posting suggestions. I see that a lot of Debian users are
> very
> friendly when it comes to helping out others unlike the Redhat
> mailing
> lists. With that being said, I think Redhat is going to ban me
> because I've
> been bad mouthing them eversince I installed Debian.
> Anyhow, getting back to the point, I do NOT try to mount the audio
> cd. That
> would be disastrous. My /cdrom directory is also just pointing at
> /dev/cdrom. This in turn is pointing at /dev/hdc. How are your groups
> set up
> for these files? I think that this may be the problem.
>
> bp

You can do ls -l /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom to see what the groups are... then
add yourself to that group (assuming the devices have permissions on
them)
adduser username groupname          (done as root)
then you have to log out and back in...
You might also try installing a simple cd player such as cdcd and try
playing from there; or if using xmms start it from an x terminal window
so you can see error messages.
HTH