Re: Sound (SBLive) | Gnome Problems

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:37:57PM +0000, Rob Weir wrote:
> Oh, ok.  I was under the impression that the digital connector was
> pretty standard these days.  I have a miscellaneous TEAC CD-ROM drive
> and I'm using the digital connector with my SBLive and it works fine.
> IIRC, it worked with just the analogue connector too.

S/PDIF output is much more common than input for some reason.
I was looking around for something to accept S/PDIF input from my
24-bit outboard ADC, and the choice seemed to be:

1) Mid-range and upwards Soundblasters
2) CMI8738-DX or -MX based cards (NOT -SX or -LX)
3) Really expensive cards which often use the same chip as a cheaper
one but have more connectors, cost two or three times as much and
still want you to buy an extra little daughter board to connect the
S/PDIF I/O.

Soundblasters have the aforementioned FS-unfriendly problem and also
apparently resample everything to 48kHz, so CMI8738 it was. There are
still driver problems, both in Windoze and Linux, but at least in
Linux it's possible to hack round them. In Windoze, it screws up the
S/PDIF recording when you update your modem drivers...

Pigeon