kernel wont compile

hi there i run a p4 with a via vt8233a southbridge and run debian woody.... the thing is that the defualt 2.4.18 doesnt support my southbridge which has the die driver only in 2.4.19. So i obtained the source of 2.4.19 and tried to compile it .... the stuff goes ok till u do make modules_install. After that an error comes telling that find [ -r System.map ] /*pcmcia*/ .... i dont remember the entire contents ... actually , the whole thing can be found in the rules.make in the topmost source directory .. well, on restarting with the new (half done) kernels i get a vfs cant mount error.... Tried my level best.... and i dont have any ideas left .... any one out there has any suggestions????? By the way has anyone been able to get some sound out of the sound card under linux ?????

 NIIT supports World Computer Literacy Day on 2nd December.
 Enroll for NIIT SWIFT Jyoti till 2nd December for only Rs. 749
 and get free Indian Languages Office software worth Rs. 2500.
 For details contact your nearest NIIT centre, SWIFT Point
 or click here http://swift.rediff.com/