How to have many Win98 users & 1 Linux

Hi,

   I have an interesting situation:

    (1) We have at school a Microsoft Networking network.

(2) We need to get a Linux Koha library system going. For this reason, I would like to have 8-10 students working on the installation,
in our computer lab, with as little disruption of the computer lab as
possible.
    (3) It is my idea that we could install one extra HDD to the
Library's computer, and install Linux on it for remote boot. We could then simply boot that computer into Linux, and be working on Windows machines as remote logins to the Linux machine.

    I've done some googling, and can't quite see what I am looking for.
I also started looking at the Linux Networking Howto, but I'm not seeing what I'm looking for there, either. Proper redirection to the appropriate sections might help, if it's there -- or just a description of what I need to do.

A list of packages, and (preferably freeware or already on the system) Win98 programs or program-types would be good.

(4) Precondition: I think Samba is out, because it uses klisa, which scans the network and triggers "hacker" guards that take us off the internet. The Principal would not be too happy about that. But if I am wrong, say so: it might well simplify my job.