Re: What is a 'path'?

Let the newbies answer the newbies!

> An instruction says:

> What is my "path" and how can I check it?   Is this a matter
> of just editing 'path' and adding /usr/X11R6/bin?

Your path is actually some short list of directories, in which your
operating system will look for binaries to execute. If you say "ls
-l", the program ls is being looked for in the directories of which
your path consists.

Do "echo $PATH" to check your path. You can add directories by just
adding them with a colon in between.

Greets,
Tom

--
"Alles stimmt, gilt, nimmt teil und bildet
eine Vollzaehligkeit, in der nichts fehlt."