Re: MSN Messenger SERVER for linux?

David Ellis said:
> Anyone know if there is an open source version of the Micrsoft Messenger
> server?
>
> I was thinking of setting one up, sort of like the one offered with
> exchange 2000.........

probably not but there is jabber, which is much better anyways. Theres
tons of clients for jabber on many different platforms, its open, and
if you ever needed it, there is a commercial company which has their
own commercialized "version" for higher end needs. based on the same
standard though. It also has support for encryption as well. chatting,
messaging, file transfers, directories(of users), and they have gateway
software to talk to the propritary IM networks as well(never used them
though).

last place I worked we had an office with about 25 win32 development
folk and they loved it, used it all the time. the unix office didn't
use it though at least not initially.

it was quite stable. though at the time not the easiest to setup(I haven't
set it up in over a year).

I'd be shocked if there was ever a MSN server, or ICQ server or yahoo
server released as open source(or released for free/non-commercial use or
whatever). or AOL server too. I think thats all the major IM networks ..

nate