Re: cfdisk revisited

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:56:42PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First, thanks for all those to that replied with the original question.
> OK, I have more question regarding cfdisk. I've successfully created the
> boot, swap, and root partition. Here are some questions that still linger
> in my head.
> 1. Should I make the /boot bootable? I'm dual booting with Windows2000 and
> the bootable flag is defaulted to /dev/hda1(w2k). I've been using redhat
> linux before with grub. Still it seems like I should make /boot bootable.
> Should I? Also, what file system type should this be? It is defaulted at
> ext3
It's not necessary to make /boot bootable. You can still use grub which
does not require bootable /boot. For /boot, ext2 is fine since its size
is very small.
> 2. The size of /boot is another question. From the previous installation of
> linux. it is at 49MB. I've read that this should be 10MB. I plan to install
> grub later when the installation is over. Which size is more desiarable?
There is not too much difference between 49MB and 10MB for a modern hard
disk. If you plan to try many kernels, 49MB is safe and enough.
> 3. File system type for the root paritition; I would like to use ext3 but I
> cannot find the corresponding number for it. Does woody support ext3? I'm
> thinking the only thing that I can use it 83 which is just "Liunx."

Yes, woody supports ext3. Despite what file system you choose, the
partition type is always 83.

Qian