Re: Cheap CDs

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 06:15, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 13:59, bob parker wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 05:06, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > > Maybe I've just read past this several times in the package list
> > > without my brain catching what was being said, but what is a good
> > > program for cloning bootable data CDs? I want to make a couple extra
> > > copies of the Woody CDs, and with both a burner and a CD-ROM on my box,
> > > I'd like to be able to just load both up and *copy*, but nothing seems
> > > to handle it all that well. I know that Xcdroast will clone audio CDs,
> > > but that is not my goal.
> >
> > cat /dev/cdrom > cd.iso
> >
> > cdrecord -scanbus	that gets you the device number for your burner
> > 			eg 0,3,0 for dev=
> >
> > cdrecord -v speed=your_burner_speed dev=x,y,z cd.iso
> >
> > The boot stuff is already in the iso image, it got put there during the
> > mkisofs stage ( assuming it's a bootable cd you are copying ).
> >
> > If you want to check the iso image before burning it
> >
> > mount -r -t iso9660 -o loop cd.iso /mnt
> > Maybe as root for the mount.
> >
> > Much easier than stuffing abround with the guis
> >
> > Bob
>
> Actually, that was my first move, and while the ISO is fine (and yes,
> you need to be root to do the mount,) all I'm getting on the burn is a
> small ring at the core of the target, and then it fails. I've made 3
> coasters already, which is not my goal.
>
> That said, I'd prefer to be able to go directly from one CD to the other
> if possible.

I had that happen when I was getting read errors from my cdrom, I ended up
having to read from my burner pending a purchase of a new cdrom.
I did get reported errors at the time. I doubt that the gui tools will do any
better AFAIK they are just front ends to the commandline cdtools.

Maybe `readcd` to copy your iso, I've just used it to try and recover a
botched up cdr that went wrong during fixation, unsuccessfully in this
case.

HTH
Bob