Ready-made initrd setup?

I've read the howto on initrd, and it looks fascinating.  But it also
looks intimidating to set it all up from scratch.  So maybe someone
else has done it already?

I'm using sarge and I'd like to use initrd to be able to boot the
same kernel on different hardware.  So, for example, I don't need to
compile in both ide and scsi support because some machines boot from
one, some from the other.

I hear good stuff about the hw detection facilities in Knoppix, could
they be pilfered for my purpose?