Re: ISP does not 'support' Linux

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 05:35, Chris Lale wrote:
> Here's an idea arising from the 'Non-Linux-aware ISP: please spoon feed'
> thread. How many ISP's helplines say 'we do not support Linux'? Most
> ISP's seem to have a webpage with connection instructions for Windows
> users. Why not instructions for Linux?

My ISP runs Linux and BSD for their servers, and most of the staff admit
to running Linux or at least Darwin/MacOSX at home, and while they don't
support Linux for clients as a business decision, if you are dealing
with any staff (outside billing) in person, they are actually quite
happy to troubleshoot, because they can find out what is going on far
more easily than with Windows, and their Linux customers are rarely
clueless.

> [...]

> of the GNU Free Documentation License, version 1.1 or any later
>
> version, published by the Free Software Foundation. A copy of the
>
> license can be found at http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/fdl.html.
>
> -->
>

> <!-- Revision history
>
> Revision 1.0, 29th November 2002, Chris Lale, Initial release
>
> Revision 1.1, [date], [name], Modified for use with [ISP's name]
>
> -->
>

> How to connect to [ISP name]
>
> ----------------------------
>

> These are brief instructions. You can find more detailed, general help at
>
>  http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net.
>

> 1. You must have ppp installed on your computer. You must use the command line.
>
>  (If you are using an X-window system console, open a terminal window.)
>
> 2. Make sure that you are logged in as root. (This is normally achieved by
>  switching user with the su command at the command line.)
>
> 3. Run pppconfig. Navigate the menus using the spacebar, arrow, tab, and enter keys.
>
> 4. Create a connection.
>
> 5. Leave the 'Provider Name' as 'provider' (the default).
>
> 6. Configure nameservers (DNS).
> 	a. Use static DNS
> 	b. Enter [nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn] for the primary nameserver.
> 	c. Enter [nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn] for the secondary nameserver.
>
> <!-- EITHER use the following section to replace 6. above
> OR delete it:
> 6. Configure nameservers (DNS) by choosing 'Use dynamic DNS'.
> -->
>
> 7. Select [PAP] as the authentication method.
>
> 8. Enter your username at [ISP].
>
> 9. Enter your password at [ISP].
>
> 10. Leave the modem 'Speed' as '115200' (the default).
>
> 11. Choose pulse or tone dialing. (Most people have tone dialing - the
>  telephone emits a note for each digit dialled.)
>
> 12. Enter this telephone number : [nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn].
>
> 13. Make sure that your modem is connected and switched on. The modem must be a
>  serial modem and not a 'Winmodem'.
>
> 14. Choose modem configuration method. Answer 'yes' for automatic detection.
>  After a short time you will see a list of ports with your modem port
>  pre-selected. Accept the selection.
>
> 15. Choose 'Advanced Options' from the properties summary screen.
>
> 16. Choose 'Add-user' to add a ppp user. Enter the name of a user on your
>  computer. This enables the user to dial up. Repeat for other users of your
>  computer if needed.
>
> 17. Choose 'Previous' to return to the previous menu.
>
> 18. Choose 'Finished' to write files and return to the main menu.
>
> 19. After the message confirming taht your configuration thatbeen saved, choose
>
>  'Quit' to exit pppconfig.
>

> How to use ppp to dial up.

> >From a terminal (or a terminal window in X) enter 'pon' to start a connection
>
>  and 'poff' to end a connection.
>

> >From the Gnome desktop use the 'Modem Lights' applet (Applets > Network > Modem
>
>  Lights). Click on the single LED to start or end a connection.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org