Re: [OT]: is this crap? -> wininformant headline "Most Insecure OS? Yep, It's Linux"

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 12:08, David Ellis wrote:
> At the risk of being terribly unpopular I thought I'd share my personal
> experience.
>
> For 6 months I was running a Windows NT 4.0 based web, ftp and email server
> (exchange 5.5) with the latest service packs (SP 6a+), and a weekly "Windows
> Update". These machines for their lifetime were completely unhacked. My
> email server wasn't an open relay, all was right with the world :).
>
> 4 months ago I switched to Redhat 7.2 - patched weekly with the Redhat
> network. This infrastructure was hacked repeatedly, my email server was an
> open relay, my ftp server was being brought down every other day, my web
> server had the apache service brought down repeatedly, I was rebuilding my
> boxes every three days. In short it was HELL.
>
> I switched to Debian Woody about three weeks ago, installing the bsd based
> ftp server (not that leaky wu-ftpd), the latest apache, exim, and cyrus. So
> far so good - no hacks, reject log shows the bounced relay requests, and the
> web service has been solid (although a browse through the logs shows the
> buffer and cgi attacks being tried).

This raises one point I've found between NT/XP servers and Linux - it is
easier to monitor (and configure that monitoring) logs on Linux than it
is on M$-ware. All that said, the impact of security flaws on 9X systems
versus those on NT/XP systems or Linux systems are usually more severe,
unless the attacker is seeking to be more subtle in what is attacked.