Re: Spam alert

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 01:28, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:59:44PM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> > I don't suggest that. Instead, they should munge email addresses.
>
> http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/
>
> > Nobody in their right mind uses a working email address on Usenet for a
> > topic such as this. Gating a mailing-list to usenet without mangling (or
> > better, removing them) is plain irresponsible.
>
> This is not uncommon with high-volume mailing lists such as this one.
> I believe the newsgroups that mirror this newsgroup do not accept
> posts, the only way to post to this list is with a valid email via the
> list email address.
>
> --
>  .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
> : :'  :    proud Debian admin and user
> `. `'`
>   `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than to fix a system

I'd have to say "yes and no" to this matter - with respect to
linux.debian.users, on some systems there is a subset of newsservers,
that accept and relay posts on those newsgroups, just not in any way
bridging them back to the mailing list. Some excellent help moves
amongst those on the newsgroup-only side, and when I participated there,
I learned not to answer questions that had the "Unsubscription" message
at the bottom, as they would not be seen by the OP, but for the rest, I
could converse with those on the Usenet side.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org