Re: joy!

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 12:51:06PM -0500, Tim Verry wrote:
> smbfs mount is working great.

awesome!

> How do I tell the tlan nic (compaq netflex 3 on mb) to go to 100 instead of
> 10?  I'm not sure it's possible, I know there were some models of compaq 4000
> desktops that would NOT do 100 under windows no matter what you did.

there's a program called ethtool that you can use to change things like
half-duplex/full-duplex 10/100 type settings.

> Also, when I had the 3c59x nic accidently loading as eth1, the mac address was
> showing up as ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.  It seemed to work oddly enough.  What would
> I do to try to fix that?

you can actually change  your mac address with ifconfig:

# ifconfig eth0 hw ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

i suspect it is because i am a geek, but i find vague amusement in
being able to change that:

# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:DE:AD:BE:EF:00

(and note, this is why mac-address-based authentication systems
are inherently insecure)

	sean