sawfish won't start from gnome2 session

I am running woody, and updated my system to gnome2.
When I first started gnome2 it came up using twm, also after removing
the old setup files.
I removed the twm entry and changed gnome-wm to point to sawfish, I
also tried killing twm and starting sawfish to try to let the session
manager get the point.
Gnome starts up, the splash screen says that itss starting sawfish but
it comes up with no window manager at all.
I looked in .gnome2/session and sawfish keeps appearing twice for some
resone.
The only solution I found was to insert sawfish as a startup program in
the session setup window.
Is there a direct way to solve the problem?