Update to latest XFree86 -> keyboard misfunctioning

Dear all,

running Debian unstable, I update regularly.  Yesterday, I run an
update which resultated in an update of several X packages.  Among
others,
  dpkg -l
  ii  xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-4        the XFree86 X server

I am using a Swiss German keyboard and therefore, I do need to make
use of AltGr to get the "@" or the pipe.

Yesterday night, suddendly my computer crashed when removing a PCMCIA
card.  After rebooting today, the AltGR key has not the required function
under X anymore (on console, it works, but not in an xterm or Mozilla
or whatever tested so far).

I have not changed my keyboard settings for long, it is:

  Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    Driver		"keyboard"
    Option		"CoreKeyboard"
    Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
    Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
    Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
    Option		"XkbVariant"	"CH"
    Option		"XkbOptions"	"nondeadkeys"
  EndSection

Therefore my question to any one that can help me: has anything
changed?  XFree86.0.log does not report anything that would show me an
error.

Thanks in advance for any hint!

wbr,
Lukas
PS: - ever since I changed from stable to unstable, the nondeadkeys have
      not been working anymore.
    - excuse my email if it looks chatty. I tried to be as precise I
      could be.
--
Lukas Ruf
http://www.lpr.ch                                 http://www.maremma.ch