Re: Automatic creation of VMware kernel modules?

Kai Großjohann, 2002-Nov-26 16:56 +0100:
> When building a new kernel (with make-kpkg) I always forget to also
> build new VMware kernel modules.
>
> It would be easy to put make-kpkg and vmware-config.pl into a script,
> but that is not enough: we have multiple machines using the kernel
> package I thus create.  Therefore, we need to find a way to put the
> VMware kernel modules into a *.deb for easy installation (or to teach
> CFengine to install them to the right location).
>
> Suggestions?

I don't believe you could use the vmware-config.pl script as is since
it won't run if the header files don't match the running kernel.

I think could create a new script based on vmware-config.pl which will
compile the modules and put them in a separate modules.deb file to be
installed with the new kernel.deb file.  Not unlike using make-kpkg
modules-image.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer