Re: Compiling kernel for AMD CPU with gcc 3.02 How?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:23:20PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Colin Watson said:
> > Only if you bump the version number a bit in debian/changelog and
> > arrange to have the packages put on hold, of course.
>
> With most packages, yes, but this seems to be an odd case - I get .debs
> named:
> cpp_3.2.1-1_i386.deb
> g++_3.2.1-1_i386.deb
> gcc_3.2.1-1_i386.deb
> and so forth - the version number is apparently being generated from
> debian/rules, rather from the changelog.

Oh yes, that's true. I stand corrected. gcc is a very weird special case
here; there are only a few packages that use the custom version feature
of dpkg-gencontrol, and it's particularly rare to generate different
version numbers on different architectures.