Re: libc6_2.2.5-13 not in stable

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 6:57, Wanou wrote:

> I would like to install avview 0.10.8-1 in order to watch TV with my ATI
> card. I've downloaded the debian package of avview, but when I want to
> install it with 'dpkg -i', there is a dependencie problem :
>
> 	dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of avview:
>  	avview depends on libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13); however:
>   	Version of libc6 on system is 2.2.5-6
>
> So I should upgrade my version of libc6 to 2.2.5-13 which is included in
> the testing version. Will be an issue due to this upgrade ? How can I
> upgrade libc6 ? (maybe adding a line in sources.list including the testing
> distribution but I don't want to make a mistake doing this).

This is because the package maker made the package specifically for sarge, if
I recall correctly. I am running sarge's libc6, locales and libc6-dev
packages and so far I have had no problems. The simple way to do it is to
pull the packages from packages.debian.org and then install them manually
with dpkg. You'll need to manually fill out all the dependencies, and
provided that it's correct, an apt one liner should do it.

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer
finger sl at eskimo.com