Re: Quota

Hi Marcus,

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:08:32PM +0100, Marcus.Wagner@dvidee.de wrote:
> I have a question about quotas.. Can somebody suggest
> me a file-format version? Should I use vfsv0 or vfsold?
> What are the differences between those formats?

If you are running Woody, I strongly suggest strictly and explicity
using vfsold.  I've had headaches with this in the past because without
realising it, I had some tools using the new style and some using the
old style.  I don't know the differences between them, but I do know I
couldn't get proper functionality with the new version.  Here's what I
did to get quotas working on Woody (this solution has been posted here
before by me):

1) turn off any existing quotas with quotaoff

2) delete all quota files from each partition you're interested in (ie,
'rm /home/*quota.user')

3) run 'quotacheck -av -Fvfsold' to create new user quota files

4) turn quotas on with 'quotaon -av'

5) check your quotas with 'repquota -a | less'

Worked for me.

Of course, you'll need quota support in the kernel and a correctly
configured /etc/fstab, you can get that info from a HOWTO.

HTH,

Lucas