RE: keyboard and mouse do not work in X

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 16:57, Mike wrote:
> Hello everyone, first time poster long time lurker :)
>
> I'm only having one problem with debian at the moment and that is whenever
> start xdm/kdm/gdm my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive.
Unfortunately
> I'm pretty new to linux/debian so I'm not sure where to look to change the
> settings.  I'm running Xserver from the unstable tree and my mouse and
> keyboard are both wireless USB Logitech's.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction or just straight out tell
> me how to fix this issue I would be most pleased!
>
> Thanks

You wouldn't have it set to check the network for computers capable of
providing you X sessions, would you? I have seen that effectively lock
up standalone systems in terms of user input to that box (you can still
get in from a networked box or one running on a serial port if you have
a getty on that port.) Look for references to xdmcp in your config files
in /etc/X11 and /etc/gdm (grep -r is a great friend for that) and see
that it is off if your machine is essentially standalone.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org

I checked on all the files and only gdm.conf had a reference to xdmcp bit it
was already turned off ( I went ahead and put # in front of all the lines
anyways) and X still hangs no matter what WM im using, I think im going to
try and just do a fresh/clean install of Xserver and see what I can get!

thanks for you're help!