Re: Non-Linux-aware ISP: please spoon feed

On 25 Nov 2002 18:00:05 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:

>Pigeon writes:
>> I am trying to set up my Linux box to connect to my Waitrose ISP
>> account.
>
>I assume that they have already given you a username and password?

Yeah, it's a free account that I've had for some time to use if UK
Online gets congested, which it usually doesn't, so I stick to that
one. ("free" = costs nothing to maintain, dialup at local call rate)

>> I have run pppconfig and entered all the details it asks for, no problem.
>
>> I have followed the instructions in
>> /usr/doc/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.2.html to the letter, and set up the
>> various files in /etc as that document describes.
>
>You don't need to do any of that.  That's what pppconfig is for.  Undo all
>the manual changes you made, run pppconfig again, and select 'PAP'
>authentication (which is what they almost certainly use).  If that doesn't
>work run pppconfig again and change the authentication method to 'CHAP'.
>If that fails dial in to them using minicom and work through the login
>procedure by hand while taking notes.  Then go back to pppconfig, select
>'CHAT' authentication, and fill in the required info by referring to your
>notes.

Hey man you are a GENIUS!!! I've done that and it works now. Cool and
froody! (Course, you wrote the thing. Like this board)

The one thing it didn't seem to do was update /etc/resolv.conf, so I
had to enter the DNS addresses by hand.

Is rwxr-x--- root dip considered safe for /etc/ppp/?

>> I am using this one rather than my ukonline one because ukonline
>> requires my box to fetch DNS addresses every time it logs on,...
>
>Ppp can deal with this.  Just select 'Dynamic' in the 'Configure
>Nameservers' screen in pppconfig.

Alas, this bit _doesn't_ work. Having got the waitrose account
working, I then ran pppconfig again to set up an account for ukonline,
selecting dynamic DNS as you suggest. Everything works except the DNS
lookup...

If I fire up ukonline it connects OK but mozilla can't find a DNS
entry for anything. If I fire up waitrose first, load a page into
mozilla, kill waitrose, fire up ukonline and reload the page, that
works; pppstatus shows traffic, so it's not reloading from cache. I
still can't load any other page; when it finds that the DNS server has
disappeared, mozilla disappears itself...

I tried reconfiguring ukonline to use waitrose's DNS but it wouldn't
have it (not really surprised). I tried adding "search ." to
/etc/resolv.conf as suggested in the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO but all that did
was stop the waitrose DNS working as well.

I dialled ukonline with minicom to see what useful information I would
get, and got:

Ascend TNT-25 Terminal Server
Login: jah.pigeon
Password: something else
EASYSTART
Entering PPP mode
IP Address is 212.134.234.160
MTU is 1524

followed by failed ppp startup garbage !}!}!} and disconnection after
a few seconds when I didn't reply to it. (The connection does work
when I do use ppp.)

Can you supply the magic words for dynamic DNS please?

Thanks to everyone who replied,

Pigeon