Re: Exim domain setup problem for dialup use

At 01:28 PM 11/26/02 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
>The first thing you need to do is ensure that your machine doesn't
>think it's name is the same as some real host or domain.

Clearly.  In this case "foo.net" is a real domain owned by this person,
just that this machine "burn" is not listed in the zone file and has a
dynamic IP (yes, I know about dyndns).  Using ".invalid" would probably be ok.

When testing I accidently setup:

   local_domains = localhost:foo.net

when I meant to type:

   local_domains = localhost:burn.foo.net

So mail could not be sent from this machine to anyone@foo.net.  But, that
was an easily caught "oops".

>One more comment, regarding qualify_domain.  As it says, it is the
>domain which exim will use to qualify unqualified addresses.  So if
>you specify "foo.net", and then send mail to "auser".  exim will
>dutifully qualify it as "auser@foo.net" and then see how it is
>supposed to handle messages for "auser@foo.net".

And what I really want is to only qualify *sender* addresses, and only on
messages that are delivered externally.

>The second thing is to see what is in /etc/email-addresses and look at
>the rewrite rules section of your exim.conf.

/etc/email-addresses works best for my purpose, so it seems.

I currently have the debain default exim.conf with:

   #qualify_domain -- commented out
   local_domains = localhost:burn.foo.net
   *@burn.foo.net    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                                                {$value}fail} frFs

And then in /etc/email-addresses I have:

  userA: userA@foo.net
  userB: userB@foo.net
  moseley: moseley@hank.org

Then when these local users send mail their MAIL FROM: domain is vaild.

But I need to read more about the /etc/email-addresses configuration.

It's working reasonably well now.  I just need a block of time to read and
understand the Exim docs.  Then learn Postfix for another project....

Thanks for the help!

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org