Exim domain setup problem for dialup use

I've got a Debain machine running exim acting as a MASQ machine on a pppoe
connection (e.g. the machine has two NICs).

The hostname is "burn".  The domain, for this example, is "burn.foo.net"

The problem is if I send mail to outside machines:

   echo "hello" | mail moseley@hank.org

gives this:

     ...error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM: ...
     501 5.1.8 <moseley@burn.foo.net>... Domain of sender address
     moseley@burn.foo.net does not exist

Which is correct, burn.foo.net does not resolve.

So, in exim.conf I can add:

  qualify_domain = foo.net

And that fixes that problem (since foo.net) exists, but it now means that

  echo "hello" | mail moseley

gets sent to moseley@foo.net instead of delivered locally.

I only want unqualified MAIL FROM: addresses modified, not the RCPT TO:
addresses.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org