Re: CUPS & Samba print server under Debian

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:55:16PM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
| I'm in the process of setting up a Linux server for my Home LAN and
| have some questions regarding the setup. First question is in regards
| to CUPS. I see that under cupsomatic-ppd it says that you should try
| foomatic-bin and foomatic-db first.

Just install cupsomatic-ppd and select the "driver" for your printer.
(it's not really a driver; rather it is a config file that tells cups
what your printer can and can't do and how to talk to the printer)

| The next question relates to using this printer via Samba from a
| Windoze client. I understand the Windoze client needs the native
| Windoze driver for my printer installed,

Yes and no.  The Windows architecture requires the clients to do all
conversion to printer-native data streams.  The secret here is that
you can set up a generic postscript driver on the windows machine and
your cups configuration will handle the translation to printer-native
just as it does for all of your unix applications.  I use this for a
Canon BJC-610 which doesn't have any good windows drivers (except for
the one that came with it which doesn't support networking).

| which isn't a problem since that's what the printer is currently
| attached to. The question is will I lose any capabilities by
| attaching it to the Linux box running Samba? I use the printer to,
| among other things, print near photo-quality pics and I know on the
| Windoze side that usually involves some special driver tricks (in
| the HP's case I think it's called Photo ret, or something similar).
| Will I lose that capability by attaching the printer to the Linux
| box, or does it basically send raw printer command over the Samba
| link and effectively bypass the Linux driver, which may not have all
| the capability of the Windoze driver?

If you set up the print spool in cups as type "raw" then you can use
the windows driver to generate the printer-native data stream.  In
"raw" mode cups will merely queue and then deliver the data to the
printer.

You can configure the printer with 2 (or more) queues directed to it.
One use for that is to have one configuration with the cupsomatic
driver for your *nix apps to use and one configured as "raw" for the
windows clients to use.

HTH,
-D

--
You can't assign IP address 127.0.0.1 to the loopback adapter,
because it is a reserved address for loopback devices

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/