Re: that dreaded APM

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Ive almost got my system 100% the way I want it !!!
>
> However APM.
>
> I have configured the kernel with the modules
> Y	General setup/power management support
> Y	General setup/advanced power management BIOS support
>
> I have dselected and loaded
> apmd
>
> if I type amp -v I get
>
> AMP bios 1.2 (kernel driver 1.16)
> AC on-line, no system battery
>
> I take this to be good, I have a AMP bios ??!
> If i
> /sbin/poweroff
> or
> shutdown -h now
>
> Linux shuts down but the hardware does not.
> Its a 700MHz PIII, pretty standard, my old Red Hat 7.2 shut the hardware down
> AOK, so I know it can work.
>
> I tried to find documentation on AMP in /usr/src/ .. /Documentation
>
> I have checked /var/log/messages & syslog
>
> no luck
> If someone can throw me a bone and tell me where to look I would appreciate it
>
> Dave

I tried this and failed for a long time and just read this a couple days
ago.  It works with one machine and not with another.  I think that's
because I don't have everything I need on the one that doesn't work.
Anyway, I added this to /etc/lilo.conf and ran /sbin/lilo:

append="apm=on apm=power-off"

There were other things that could be done as well.  They were listed in the
Debian reference manual at http://qref.sourceforge.net/  Sometime I have to
read that whole document, because it looks like it has a lot to offer.
Anyway, there were some other options for getting the poweroff thing to work
- modules to load or things to compile into the kernel.

--
Anita
GnuPG key: 1024D/9EDAC910