Re: Looking for a backup to CD-R(W) program

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:08:53 -0500 (EST)
joe@nahmias.net (Joe Nahmias) wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Linus himself said that using
> dump on live (mounted) filesystems was a bad idea.  I'll see if I can
> dig up a reference to it...
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Joe
>
> > Chris Lale wrote:
> > > Incremental daily backup:
> > > dump -3u -z -M -B 650000 -f /bkp/home/monday.dump /home
> >
> > Whoops! that should be -9 not -3:
> > dump -9u -z -M -B 650000 -f /bkp/home/daily.dump /home
> >

>From the top of the "cdbackup" man page:

DESCRIPTION

cdbackup  is  a utility to make streaming backups to CD-R(W)
disks. It's designed to work with any backup tool which writes the
backup to stdout       (like tar/cpio/afio).

NOTE: this program REQUIRES that a recent version of cdrecord(1)
is present in the PATH.

WARNING! When using this program under Linux, be sure not to use
dump on a mounted filesystem. This has a high potential for creating
corrupted       backups.  As  of  kernel  version  2.4.19,  this  has
not been fixed and it may not be fixed at all.  You can read Linus
statement about this at

<http://search.alphanet.ch/cgi-bin/search.cgi?max_results=10&type=long&;
msgid=Pine.LNX.4.21.0104270953280.2067-100000@penguin.trans-meta.com&do
main=ml-linux-kernel>

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com