Keyboard goes dead

Hi, I am having this strange problem and I hope someone could shed light on it. Taking a members advice I am running unstable to get the drivers for ATI Rage 128 Ultra card to work. However now when I start an X session and when I quit it, the keyboard becomes unresponsive after typing in one charc. This behaviour repeats itself if I hit cntrl+alt+f[1-6] to access the console when the x session is on. I am able to login and that is all the keyboard becomes unresponsive. I am left with only option that is ssh into system from another system and reboot it. Any pointers that would help me solve this problem would be of great help.
regards
Harshu.