Re: no support for `ip_masquerade' on this system

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 03:18:34PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > At 03:12 PM 11/22/02 -0800, nate wrote:
> > >Bill Moseley said:
> > I installed this machine for a friend and told him that RealAudio won't
> > work through the MASQ'ed machine because there's no 2.4 module yet.  But it
> > works anyway -- perhaps RealAudio can work around that now.
>
> Depends on what you mean.  iptables supports stateful firewalling, so if
> RealPlayer is using something simple (afaik it uses standard UDP) then
> iptables will be able to handle it.

That's interesting.  I imagined it was an issue like ftp where you open up
a port and let the remove contact you.

>If it didn't, you'd be SOL, since
> the iptables folks have a policy of not supporting/building/including
> in the kernel modules for protocols that do not have at least one Free
> server and one Free client.

I can appreciate that.  RealAudio is in such wide spread use it's kind of
hard to ignore, though.  When I mentioned to my friend that he may not
have RealAudio he said that was unacceptable.  Luckily it did work and now
he has a Debian machine.

Funny in my research how I saw all these posts about RealAudio not being
supported in iptables, and a few posts saying the realaudio module was not
complete yet, but now posts about the actual module.  Have to take things
with a grain of salt, I suppose.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org