Re: apt-get hang in unstable

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 06:00:19PM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> I have an machine which I keep at unstable, and update daily.  This is mainly
> so that I can keep an eye out for problems.  When I came to run apt-get today
> it started quite happily, but I remembered that there was a change I had
> intended to apply to /etc/apt/sources.list, so I interrupted apt-get, edited
> sources.list, and restarted it.  It just hung.  So I logged off and back on
> in case there was something left lying around, but that did not clear it, so
> then I tried re-booting the machine and that did not clear it.

In general, reboots will not help you fix anything under Unix.  If a
process is hung, then kill it; if you need to restart a daemon, then use
the scripts in /etc/init.d/.

> Now no apt-get operation, except apt-get -v or -h, work.  They do not put
> out any error messages, they just sit there.

Haven't seen this myself (I haven't updated in a while tho), but strace
is usually the answer.  It intercepts syscalls as a program makes them,
and prints them to the screen so you can see what they're up to.  Run
'sudo strace apt-get update' and see where apt is screwing up...

-rob