Re: linux inside windows domain

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 11:15:42PM -0800, Florentin Ionescu wrote:
> Given a computer alpha with debian , on a windows NT domain beta which
> has a proxy server gama 11.22.33.44 can anybody please explain me how
> can you set socks5 (? any other way ?) to access the Internet ?

You could just route packets directly, which is the obvious solution.
Why aren't you doing this?

> Mozilla has build-in client, so setting proxy as gama:1080 is working
> fine - but I want to other application to work too.

SOCKS is a special protocol which programs have to actually understand
to use.  Find socksified versions of the software you want, actually
route things properly over the network or, in a pinch, install tsocks
and use the LD_PRELOAD hack to socksify everything else.

You could also just use a HTTP proxy (like squid), a lot of programs
know how to use that.

-rob