still monitor problems

Hello!

I just installed Debian on my fairly good Pentium !!!, and just barely
got my (very good indeed!) monitor to work (thanks to the people on the
list). Now, I am having major problems configuring it, as the
configuration utility that I run during installation never configures
the mouse right. I have to do it manually later, and afterwards I cannot
reconfigure the monitor. I want to be able to change resolution, but my
changes in XF86Config-4 never take effect after reboot; ctrl-alt-+ does
not invoke the list of resolutions, and when I run xf86config to change
things manually, it throws resolution way down to give me screen-size
letters. I am using BlackBox on this machine. Do you think it is the
problem with BalckBox, Debian installation/configuration, or I am doing
anything wrong when configuring?

To add, I might say that when I try to set the fonts in XTerm, it never
finds them. The fonts are there, I checked, in the appropriate directory.
It just does not see them. Hmmm...

Somehow it seems there is a general problem with my particular Debian
installation. Tell me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Luda