Re: Running ./configure with "apt-get --compile source"?

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

>   I need to build bind9 for a vserver. I've been told that the magic
>   spell is:
>
>     ./configure --disable-linux-caps.
>
>   Until now, I've only used "apt-get install" or "apt-get --compile
>   source". I didn't see how to do this in the apt-get or
>   dpkg-buildpackage man pages.
>
>   What is the recommended way to do this within the Debian
>   packaging system?

  I grabbed the source with "apt-get source bind9" and then added
  --disable-linux-caps to the configure command in debian/rules and ran
  dpkg-buildpackage manually.

  It worked, but it would be nice to get confirmation that this was the
  Right Way to Do It.