Re: tiger always reports 'no password' with NIS

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 04:09:38PM -0800, nate wrote:
> Sebastian Haase said:
> >> That is: I use NIS and have specific users maked with a '+' - sign in
> >> /etc/passwd
> >> like this:
> >> +alexis::0:0:::
> >>
> >> Isn't this a correct way of 'nis-sifying' certain users !?
>
> yes that is correct, the system is probably complaining because it can't
> find a password in /etc/shadow. Which is to be expected if your using
> NIS, or some other authentication(PAM with mysql, ldap, etc)

Nope. I'm guessing that it is complaining because it thinks that user
+alexis doesn't have a password. TIP: Verify that login agrees that
it's supposed to use NIS, and doesn't allow a username of "+alexis",
without a password.

I suggest that you try:

    +alexis:*:0:0:::

to be sure that SHOULD some program have a bug in that it doesn't know
about the NISification, it won't allow "+alexis" in without a password.
Hopefully the nis-aware tools will still allow alexis in through the NIS
password.

			Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
* The Worlds Ecosystem is a stable system. Stable systems may experience *