Re: Help with Mozilla Mail

Tim Wood wrote:
Hi,
I'm feeling very foolish as I cannot work out what is going on with Mozilla Mail.

I'm moving ISP and have accounts with iiNet and Bigpond. The SMTP is now set for mail.bigpond.com.

I can receive mail on both accounts, I can send mail form my iiNet account, compose in that account, and send with the above SMTP. When I try to send in the Bigpond account the mailer cannot contact the SMTP server, despite it's being the Bigpond server. I'm in the process of moving my Debian subscriptions and have had to move the replies to my iiNet account to be able to respond to them.

I'm bemused by this and would welcome any suggestions.

TIA,
    Tim Wood

I am using Mozilla Mail version 1.1, but I "think" it is the same in 1.0 too. I have a similar setup with 4 E-Mail accounts that I monitor, including one on my LAN's MTA.This setting is down at the bottom under "outgoing server" on my machine. It really doesn't matter which SMTP server you have set here...pick the one you will be using the most.

If you open up Mozilla Mail and go to "Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings..." under the "Edit" Menu, you will be able to change the smtp server used to send out-going mail. This setting is down at the bottom under "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" on my machine. It really doesn't matter which SMTP server you have set here...pick the one you will be using the most or the longest and make sure it is the "default" under the "Advanced" button on this screen. Mozilla-Mail suggests you only have one to avoid confusion to the mailer. I use the SMTP server of the ISP that I am connected to primarily. Of course, if you are running your own MTA (Exim, Sendmail, etc) you could use that IF it is a "recognized" mail-drop on the internet. If you are changind ISPs, and bouncing back and forth between accounts, this can get a little messy. I suggest you make the change once and continue using the new smtp server as the system "default"

In order to get replys directed to the specific account you want, you can just set the "Reply-To Address" to the same value as the "E-Mail Address" for that account.

Finally, under "Account Settings" for each account you have, click on the "Advanced" button and check to see which SMTP server is set for each account. I suspect the setting is different between the iiNet and Bigpond accounts. You should set this to the single SMTP account discussed above or the system "default".

With this setup, I have all my out-bound mail being sent via my ISP's SMTP server, but the mail from each POP-server comes in on the proper account.