Re: Open Source file delivery for apache

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 06:29:19PM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> I already have a suite of C based CGI "scripts" that work perfect
> together.  Since submitting the initial question, I programed exactly
> what you described and tested it.  One question open to me is
> concurrency: does htpasswd handle concurrency itself or do I need to
> carry out locking schemes?
[...]
>     The reason why I always prefer C/C++ instead of any scripting
>     language is performance.

The difference between compiled code and scripting languages is
generally dwarfed by the difference between CGI and a more efficient
server API (FastCGI, mod_perl, NSAPI, ISAPI, whatever). In the context
of web server extensions, unless you care about absolutely blistering
performance - in which case you won't be using CGI - it's usually best
to use whatever language you are most familiar with and find most
maintainable.