file permissions with devfsd

I'm running Debian 3.0 with custom Linux 2.4.19 kernel.

I added this to /etc/devf/perms file:
REGISTER ^scsi/host0/bus0/target6/lun0/generic$ PERMISSIONS root.cdrom
0660

Still, whenever I reboot the system, the generic device gets reset
to the default permission (root.root 0600), and I have to manually
make the changeover . How do I make the change
permanent?

Note, the following has been uncommented in /etc/devfs/compat_symlinks:
REGISTER        ^vc/.*          MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      ^vc/.*          RMOLDCOMPAT
REGISTER        ^pty/.*         MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      ^pty/.*         RMOLDCOMPAT
REGISTER        ^misc           MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      ^misc           RMOLDCOMPAT

Everything else is default.

Thanks
--
email: john-list@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

#####          I'm subscribed to this list, no need to cc:          ######