Re: Virus Alert - ScanMail for Lotus Notes

on Fri, Nov 22, 2002, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:49:13PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Colin Watson writes:
> > > They are of no significance. Viruses frequently forge the source address
> > > of e-mails, and it's not uncommon for lists to be those forged addresses.
> >
> > It's irritating that the incompetent bunglers that manage these so-called
> > "virus scanners" allow them to send out these notices, though.
>
> It doesn't help that Klez and kin typically forge the envelope sender,
> thus meaning that even correct systems end up appearing like incompetent
> bunglers.

There are list headers which can be tested for to avoid sending AV
alerts to lists.  qmail-scanner, for one, does this (I haven't worked
with others).

I keep a list of AV vendor email addresses handy which I forward all of
such misdirected list mails to.  Figuring that if enough people do this,
the AV vendors will take pains that their customers set the products up
right.

Peace.

    Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay
    any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's
    doing it that way."
     -- Andrew Grygus  http://www.aaxnet.com/