/etc/network/interfaces and pppoe

I'm still new at this ppp stuff.  Confusing that I have two interfaces that
I'm working with.

I'm not clear how to setup /etc/network/interfaces.

man pppoe says:

OPTIONS
       -I interface
              The -I option specifies the Ethernet interface to use.   Under
              Linux,  it is typically eth0 or eth1.  The interface should be
              "up" before you start pppoe, but should not be  configured  to
              have an IP address.

Should be "up" but without an IP address.

But man interfaces says that the IP address is required.

              address address
                     Address (dotted quad) required
                                           ^^^^^^^^

What the correct way to set it up?