Re: Sound card problem

Andrew R Reid was roused into action on 2002-11-22 02:02 and wrote:
I've got a es1371 as well.  I've spent days trying to get it working with
the OSS drives that come with 2.4.18.  Absolutely no joy.  I don't think
it's because I'm an idiot.  I got my ISA PnP SoundBlaster 16 working OK at
home very quickly (although I can't get it to play .wav files through gnome
or KDE's sound daemons, it can play and record .au files, play CD's and work
with CivCTP)

I'm having much the same problem with a SoundBlaster PCI 128 (es1371). I can get it working but it will not load the modules on boot, so I have to do it manually.

Far be it from me to say - but Debian's sound configuration leaves a lot to
be desired.  I don't know how many hours I've spent trying to work out what
devices, aliases, modutils entries permissions I need to use to get the
thing going.  I'd love help to sort this all out, and then I'll write a good
howto specifically for Debian users.

I'd do the same once I got it running in a satisfactory manner. More galling yet is that the Debian-based Knoppix Live Linux CD distribution automatically detects and configures it, so it is obviously possible.

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV