Re: OT: benefits of preloading libraries

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:57:27PM -0800, nate wrote:
> running a couple google searches I can't find anything useful, I
> was wondering if anyone could explain what the advantage is to
> preloading libraries on a linux system.

I'm surprised there isn't anything on the web about this.  I just
searched google and altavista (remember them?) but came up with nothing.

In any case, loading shared libraries is slow.  Compiling everything
statically would be much faster, but you'd sacrifice huge amounts of
disk space.  Preloading helps to work around the performance hit you
take when using dynamically loaded libraries by getting ld.so to load
the libraries prior to runtime, so it doesn't have to work as hard when
you're actually running the program.

It might be interesting to see a side by side comparison of something
big like mozilla or gnumeric with and without preloading.  I suppose if
such a thing already existed we'd have found it in our web searches...

noah