Re: How can I make root filesystem read-only? - many ways ?

On 21 Nov 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 10:36, Hiroki Horiuchi wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > My /etc/fstab is like below.
> >
> > /dev/sda1 /     ext2 errors=remount-ro 0 1
> > /dev/sdb1 none  swap sw                0 0
> > /dev/sdc1 /tmp  ext2 defaults          0 2
> > /dev/sdd1 /var  ext2 defaults          0 3
> > /dev/sde1 /home ext2 defaults          0 4
> >
> > I am trying to make the root filesystem including /usr subdirectory
> > read-only. But, if I set the mount option of / to ro, system cannot boot.
> > Making only /usr read-only is not enought for me.
> > Cannot root filesystem be read-only?
>
> In effect, no.
>
> For example, /etc must be in the root filesystem and mount writes to
> /etc/mtab

common solution for that problem...
	cd /etc ; rm mtab ; ln -s /proc/mounts mtab

a wild-ass guess at making /usr readonly
	cd / ; chattr +i /usr

- but, there is no point to making /usr readonly ??
	- users should never be writing to it
	( move /usr/local to /home or make it its own partition

	- some system apps writes to /usr/tmp ( aka /var/tmp )

	- best to try it and see what errror messages pop up

- no point in making the "system" complicated to solve user problems
 	( people like to add their own stuff... all user stuff
	( should be in /home ..imho

> Perhaps you could arrange to have a RAM disk for root?  (See initrd.)

ramdisk is also rw ... and is not much different than  / on /dev/hda

c ya
alvin