Re: How can I make root filesystem read-only?

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 10:36, Hiroki Horiuchi wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My /etc/fstab is like below.
>
> /dev/sda1 /     ext2 errors=remount-ro 0 1
> /dev/sdb1 none  swap sw                0 0
> /dev/sdc1 /tmp  ext2 defaults          0 2
> /dev/sdd1 /var  ext2 defaults          0 3
> /dev/sde1 /home ext2 defaults          0 4
>
> I am trying to make the root filesystem including /usr subdirectory
> read-only. But, if I set the mount option of / to ro, system cannot boot.
> Making only /usr read-only is not enought for me.
> Cannot root filesystem be read-only?

In effect, no.

For example, /etc must be in the root filesystem and mount writes to
/etc/mtab

Perhaps you could arrange to have a RAM disk for root?  (See initrd.)

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "A new commandment I give unto you; That ye love one
      another. As I have loved you, so ye also must love one
      another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my
      disciples, if ye have love one to another."
                         John 13:34,35