Re: Du shows me /var/lib with 1.2G

Oliver Fuchs said:
> Hi all,
> as mentioned I tried du to get information about my lost free space
> (better than lost in space) ... I was kind of shocked when I saw that
> /var/lib/ got 1.2G ... it is very huge ... o.k. my /usr/ directory is 824M
> ... but I still think it is too big and there are too many packages on my
> box. Are there any good tools except deborphan an debfoster to delete or
> control my huge amount of packages?

try finding out exactly what is using the space

find . -type d -maxdepth 1 | xargs du -s -h
(if you see anything unusual, go into that dir and do the same
command, you could try doing du on all the directories but to me
that makes it harder to read)

one of my systems has a TON of packages(552) and yet /var/lib
is only 60MB(by comparison my /usr is 972MB)

perhaps its not even a package file(s) that are taking all the space.

nate