Scrollbar oddities

I have just hacked X 4.2 to add support for my Ami Track Dual Scroll
trackball (an interesting hack, involving an analogue cassette
recorder). This basically meant:
- Making X reset the mouse when it starts up, otherwise it won't
listen when you send it an init string
- Adding an init string and a decoder routine for the trackball's
"enhanced dual wheel mode" (dunno what's "enhanced" about it!)

So far, so good. It now works both in its "enhanced" mode and its
Intellimouse-compatible mode, neither of which even gave me pointer
movement before the hack. The vertical scroll wheel will scroll an
xterm, while the horizontal wheel just beeps, which I think is
correct. I can change my ZAxisMappping to make them work the other way
round. The Intellimouse mode that came with X and my addition produce
identical results, so that seems to be OK.

If I then fire up Mozilla (the slink version, which calls itself
Netscape 5.01a) and view an html page on my HD, the scroll wheels
don't work. To scroll, I have to click in the scrollbar with the left
or middle button - the right one does nothing. In all other respects,
including clicking the right button in the document, the mouse works.
When Mozilla starts it moans about not being able to find BtnUp and
BtnDown, but this doesn't seem to stop the buttons working!

Using Arena (0.3.61-5) it's a little different. Here, _any_ button
click in the scrollbar scrolls it - left, right, middle, or the
ZAxisMapped button events produced by the scroll wheel. All 7 buttons
produce the same result. As scroll wheels, the scroll wheels still
don't work. It's obviously able to receive the scroll wheel button
events but not doing what it should with them. It doesn't produce any
error messages on startup.

I haven't tried any other X apps cos I don't have any. WRT window
managers, I've tried with both twm and fvwm2 and it makes no
difference.

Is this simply because the apps in question are too old to support
scroll wheels and I'm gonna have to do some more source hacking? Or is
there some bit of system configuration that I have to do that I
haven't realised?

Pigeon