Re: Debian Testing Crashes Overnight

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 11:26, Michael Kahle wrote:
> This post is going to be a bit vague, sorry.
>
> I built the system using Woody, then 'upgraded' to testing on my
> workstation.  I use this as my primary computer here at work.  At the end of
> the day, when I go home, I lock X and take off.  The next morning, the
> system is frozen.  I can't do anything but shut the machine down by holding
> the power switch.  I tried to ssh into the box but it timed out.  So there
> was no way to shut it down gracefully.
>
> I have XFree86 installed, Gnome installed and am using the mga drivers from
> Matrox to support my dual screens.  Where do I begin to troubleshoot this?
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.  I will provide any information requested, save
> the password for root!  :)
>
> Good times.
>
> Michael

You're not running it in a PC emulator on Windows, are you? ;)

I've heard of problems with locked screensavers in the past, and I
wouldn't be surprised if that *could* be a problem, but what is more
important is whether or not the system hangs at the same time each day
(potential cron job problem - check the tail of the back logs.)
Alternately, it could be a hardware problem from poor handling of acpi.

Could you provide when the last entries in your syslogs have been, and
anything of interest about your kernel (version, whether you roll your
own, etc.?)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org