weird g++ behavior

greetings all,

a few months ago, i made the great leap of faith and
switched to debian (woody) from suse -- a few false starts,
but all in all i'm still convinced it was a good choice, if
only...

my problem is that i'm getting a whole slew of intermittent,
unreproducable (but nonetheless frequently occurring) errors
only under woody -- most frequent is weirdness from
g++, which occasionally tells me for instance:

configure:2797: g++ -c -g -O2  -I/usr/local/include/stlport conftest.cc >&5
In file included from /usr/local/include/stlport/stl/_num_put.h:178,
                 from /usr/local/include/stlport/stl/_ostream.c:29,
                 from /usr/local/include/stlport/stl/_ostream.h:349,
                 from /usr/local/include/stlport/stl/_istream.h:31,
                 from /usr/local/include/stlport/stl/_fstream.h:34,
                 from /usr/local/include/stlport/fstream:33,
                 from configure:2792:
/usr/local/include/stlport/stl/_num_put.c:292: parse error before `*'

... and other such joyful messages -- when the syntax is in fact
perfectly kosher (/usr/local/include/stlport is just a symlink
to /usr/include/stlport, for (temporary, i hope) compatibility
with my suse system).  i get this and similar errors (almost always
"parse error before `*'" in many of my own sources (frequently
changed and recompiled); often it's a line such as

  SomeRandomClass *c1, *c2, ..., *cN;

causing the error (N >= 2) -- usually, re-invoking 'make' causes
the same file to compile just fine.

a self-compiled gcc-2.95.3 produced the same errors on woody.

crap like this is why i stopped using windoof; i always
though gcc was a pretty damn stable compiler... put this
together with a mess of odd filesystem errors
(on ext2/ext3), and i get a really bad feeling...

suse (heavily modified v7.1) gives me neither the g++ errors
nor the filesystem errors.  memory and other hardware problems
i therefore deem improbable... does anyone have any ideas
what i might try?

System:
 chipset: VIA apollo
 cpu: Athlon 1Ghz
 ram: 768 MB

... complete hardware list on request; but i really don't think
it can be pure hardware problem...

marmosets,
	Bryan