RE: [OT] Love you guys

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 17:42, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> Hey, I'm not trying to start a hardware religous war here, it was just an
> observation.  I have issues with some vendors myself. (Personally I hope Sun
> Microsystems goes the way of the DoDo).  I do work at a large company but I
> certainly do NOT have unlimited budget.  As for small company vs. large
> company, there are tradeoffs to both.  With a large company they typicaly
> have the facilities to replace hardware (hard drives in an array for
> example) that die down the line.  With a smaller company and "standard"
> parts you may not have that luxury.  When a particular model end of lifes,
> it is not always easy finding another drive with close enough drive geometry
> to stick back in the array.

Very good point.  Back when we were a VAX shop, whenever I'd
grouse about cost of support contracts, I'd eventually remember
that it was paying for relatively competent CEs and warehouses
full of old parts.

If you were happy with your VAX 8650, and willing to pony up for
the maintenance contract, there *would* be parts available.

<Sigh>  Not so nowadays...  If the FPM RAM goes bzzzzt on that
obscure but vital box in the corner (running an off beat OS
from a company long dead and using ESDI drives on an EISA
controller), you are well and truly hosed.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |